Recently Marily Robinson wrote:
I heard an interview with Grisham
in which he said that he began writing the book (The Chamber) with a firm
belief in
capital punishment, but after doing the research involved for authentication
and fleshing out the characters, he came away with a lot of doubts about the
system.  The book is no way meant to be an anti-death penalty polemic,
however.
I beg to differ...with all due respect (i.e. no flaming, honest!) have you
read the book?  If not, I won't spoil it for you. But while it may not be a
polemic, it is clear to this reader that the character of Sam Cayhall is
presented in what I would deem to be a somewhat kinder light than he deserves
considering his crimes.  Sorry but I don't believe in Grisham's message:
"There but for the grace of God, go I."

Having said that, I have to say it is one hell of a good read, and by far his
best book.
Word is out that a deal may be closed in a week or two for his first book,
 A Time to Kill, with bids up to $6 mil and Joel Schumacher directing.
...starring Danny Glover, I hope.