I completelty agree, and your use of Sedgwick's notion of homosociality
is on the mark. Despite the film's banal attempts to bring AIDS into
the lives of middle America, everything is set up to ensure the
traditonal family wins out. Linda Singer (Erotic Welfare) has aptly
called this the repackaging of the nuclear family as a "prophylactic
social device," the nuclear family as the "safest sex around." which
implies that,as she says, "homosexuality is itself unsafe." Certainly
one does not want to argue that we should simply be thankful Hollywood
has made this film. There are more complex subtexts operating that need
to be adressed.
Kyle Mechar
McGill University, Montreal