                                            Associate Professor
                                            Comparative Literature
                                            212 749-1631
                                            19-Jun-1994 10:14pm EDT
FROM:  KGABBARD
TO:    Remote Addressee                     ( [log in to unmask] )

Subject: Re: blackface

A propos of the discussion of BoaN and its aftermath, does anyone have a  sense
of when blackface ceased to be an accepted convention in American cinema? I
mean, when was the last time it was used as a sign of old-fashioned
entertainment prior to more "socially conscious" uses in films such as _Black
Like Me_?  As far as I can tell, the major studios stopped putting blackface
performance into their films in 1951 when Doris Day of all people did an
imitation of Al Jolson under cork in _I'll See You in My Dreams_ (1951).

Krin Gabbard
SUNY Stony Brook