I have a vague memory that Jean Renoir complained in his
autobiography about various restrictions on his filmmaking because of
the "Southern market."  This of course particularly affected him when
he was making _The Southerner_.  It's also possible that James Agee
mentioned it in his review of Renoir's film.  If I were home now, I
would be looking this up rather than offering suppositions.
                                                Stephen Brophy
                                                Cambridge, Mass.