It is certainly relevant to discuss Letterman since this is also a
video discussion group. I do watch the show, on and off; there are
periods when I watch it a great deal. At this point the show is
fascinating from a theoretical viewpoint because of its complete
absorption of conceptual/postmodern attitudes of
fragmentation/cynicism/cynical documentary - and turning these
attitudes into a completely sutured surface, as modernist as any
glass and steel office-building. The show is perfect in its way. As
far as Pekar is concerned, he's always of interest - as are other
"discomforting" guests - because they permit the show a degree of
latitude, the reification of a subaltern opposition that in reality
plays into Letterman, i.e. the role of (Lyotard's) different. It's
interesting also in respect of all of this to watch Conan O'Brien's
show which is always in the process of working itself out - WORKING -
the labor of the thing is evident.
Alan Sondheim