Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 1994 14:59:18 CST
Sender:       The Theatre Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Plays/novels into movies
To:           Multiple recipients of list THEATRE <[log in to unmask]>

Any suggestions?  cal

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>

I am involved in some discussions with a student who says that he "can
tell" when he sees a movie if it is based on a play or novel, or written
for the screen.  Verbalizing his reasons is difficult for him, but he
seems to feel that movies from other sources have "better characters and
better dialogue."
While I find it interesting to look at what is done --for better and/or
worse to plays/novels made into movies, I can't agree that it is an "I
can tell" proposition.

Does anyone have any reaction to this?  Can you direct us to good
discussions of the phenomenon of plays/novels into movies compared to
original screenplays?

Michael Flanagan