On Tue, 14 Dec 1993 17:55:40 -0600 Hamid Naficy said:
> Does anyone out there know about articles describing the use of the "little
> medium" of audiocassettes for propagating religious and/or politically
> activist doctrines and movements, either within national borders
> or across geographical and national boundaries?  Such uses, especially
> during social revolutions, turn the little medium into a "big medium" in
> terms of its sociopolitical effects.  Anecdotal information, references
> to articles describing such uses, and posting of actual articles electron-
> ically would be appreciated.
> Hamid Naficy
      Hamid, there was a National Public Radio "All Things Considered" sequence
during the past 30 days that looked at the use of audio cassettes as a means of
continuing an "oral tradition" in North African Arab culture.  I vaguely
remember the content as having something to do either with poetry, or with a
religious "talk" that was passed from person to person, with each adding their
own commentary or interpretation of the original "talk."  What word do we use
to refer to a "text" of spoken, not written, language.
    If you come up with many responses to this, I'd be interested in a copy.
                                              Regards,
                                                      Robert

Robert Withers
Film Department              That was zen, this is tao . . .
Brooklyn College
Brooklyn, New York 11210     Bitnet:   [log in to unmask]
(718) 951-5664               Internet: [log in to unmask]