Just remembered a TV Movie starring Helen Hunt as a woman
  Quarterback.  It might have been an AfterSchool Special.
  It was pretty good and focused on the issue of women competing
  in a male sport -- and the consequences she suffered (boyfriend
  problems, peer pressure).

  I've written a script about women's softball team overcoming
  a corrupt athletic department.  The agents and producers all
  say it's very good... "But who will watch a women's sports
  movie?"  Then Penny Marshall hits it big with "League of Their
  Own".  Now the question is, "Is softball really INTERESTING?"
  Give me a break.  Sports movies, generally male or female, do
  well because of the underdog mentality of most people.  Rocky
  wasn't just about boxing.

  Janet Lawler, Marist College