On Fri, 4 Jun 1993 00:28:03 -0500 Cary Alan Nathenson said:
>I'd be interested in comments about other filmic representations of such a
>civilization/nature-woman conflict, especially if anyone knows of films
>where the repression of desire isn't the outcome.  I suspect that this is
>rarely accomplished without the male figure abandoning his subjectivity.
>Any takers?

Within mainstream film you can see this antinomy working through
SPLASH (1984) with Daryl Hannah as mermaid-nature and Tom Hanks
as uptight New Yorker-civilization.  In that case desire and the woman are
not repressed, as the man adapts to the woman's world rather than vice versa.

That same year (1984) there were two other films playing off a similar
opposition, but with the nature figure a man:  GREYSTOKE: THE LEGEND OF
TARZAN, LORD OF THE APES and ICEMAN.   This was what I tried, rather
clumsily, to articulate in a _Journal of Film and Video_ essay (fall 1985).

It'd be hard to see Tarzan/Iceman as "feminized," but of course that
depends on gender definition.

Best of luck with your research...

          The discovery of America was the occasion of the
          greatest outburst of cruelty and reckless greed
          known in history.
                                  --Joseph Conrad--

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |