As a student and a filmmaker I was highly insulted by the letter from
kjm concerning student egocentrism and what you made sound like extreme
self absorption.  MAny of my films have a great deal of my emotion in
them -- it may just be a simple as my having a passion for the topic I'm
exploring.  However, I always try to link the personal to the political,
historical, and social and avoid egocentric, solipsistic work.  And I fail
to see the problem in really believing in what you think.  That can only
be an advantage (unless you want to work for CNN).
JL
Ithaca College