In Message 19 Feb 1993 11:50:41 -0600 (CST),
  Carol Slingo <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Maybe this is a historical oddity.  In the fifties there were two American
>Westerns that I can remember about gauchos.  One was WAY OF A GAUCHO--I
>think it had Gene Tierney.  Can't remember the other.  At the time Hugo
>Fregonese was married to Howard Hughes starlet Faith Domergue, and I
>remember a story in a movie magazine (just because it caught my interest
>especially) saying that Fregonese was going to make a bilingual Argentine
>western (one version for the US) with Domergue.  Then they split up and I
>never found a reference to it anywhere.  Maybe Currie knows.  Clearly
>gauchos never caught on in Hollywood.

   God, Carol, what you know about Hispanic cinema never ceases to amaze me.
No, I don't know.  I remember seeing WAY OF A GAUCHO--probably in 1951
right after it was made.  And  I am familiar with Fregonese as the director
of PAMPA BARBARA (Barbaric Pampa, 1944), which is the only Argentine film I
have seen that one could legitimately label as a western.  I don't know
what his film PAMPA SALVAJE (called SAVAGE PAMPAS in Leslie Halliwell's THE
FILMGOER'S COMPANION), which was produced and filmed in Spain is about.  The
title is listed in Jorge Abel Martin's CINE ARGENTINO: DICCIONARIO DE
REALIZADORES CONTEMPORANEOS as a Spanish-language film, but Halliwell, which
does not list Fregonese's other Spanish-language films, includes it.  Maybe
that was it.  (But Halliwell does not list it as one of Domergue's films.)
Currie Thompson