I've been doing a course on fantasy and sci-fi fictions from the Gothic
(Frankenstein) to the Postmodern (Bladerunner, Terminator). While I've
enjoyed every film, some of my students are beginning to get a little
weary of grim futures.  "Aren't there any films about a _good_ future?"
asked one.  I couldn't think of one -- at least not of a film in which
a benevolent future is maintained, with the possible exception of the
almost unbearable _Just Imagine_ (1930).

Does anyone else on SCREEN-L know of any such films?  Early, silent,
30's, 40's, 50's or whenever; I'd be interested in anything, especially
if you know where I could find a VHS format video.

Thanks in advance,

--Russell Potter
--Colby College

(p.s. the films we _have_ screened are: