Don't know about the Cable companies, since we're too rural for
the cable companies to be able to make their exhorbitant
profits off of us, but we do have a satellite system, and the
Sci-Fi channel is on Galaxy 5, Transponder 4 ... For several
weeks before full programming kicked in, they played some
spools of delightful animation and filler - much of it
computer-generated stuff, quite imaginative, very enjoyable,
albeit repetitive. Since it kicked in full-time programming it
is becoming one of our channels of choice - we are wallowing in
nightly Quantum Leap and discovering the delights of that
program for the first time (we get NBC/CBS/ABC local
programming poorly, so rarely watch new network stuff - wait to
see what's good and watch it in rerurns!)

At present, Sci-Fi channel is transmitting in the clear, so
your cable companies should be able to pick it up without any
extra costs to you. I don't know if they plan to scramble later
on.

*    Anne L. Pemberton              [log in to unmask]       *
*    Nottoway High School           [log in to unmask]    *
*    Nottoway VA                    [log in to unmask]           *
*   "One of the most spectacular privileges of intellectuals is     *
*    that they are free to demonstrate scandalous stupidity with-   *
*    out ever jeopardizing their reputations"   ---   Eric Hoffer   *