Dear Christian,
this is in response to your querie about Frontier Films. The "German book"
was published in spring 1991: Mo Beyerle, Christine N. Brinckmann, eds.
DER AMERIKANISCHE DOKUMENTARFILM DER 60ER JAHRE: DIRECT CINEMA UND RADICAL
CINEMA (Frankfurt/M: Campus, 1991). It is a collection of articles on
documentary films of the 60s including an extensive bibliography. Not
exactly Frontier films, but we (I was involved in the documentary
research project funded by Volkswagen Foundation which resulted in
all these publications) put together an extensive bibliography on
American documentary films (including Frontier films) which will
be published by John F. Kennedy Institut, Berlin. I can send you a
disk with the WP file of it, if you are really interested. In addition
to the book published already there are a number of other publications
in the works: a special issue of AMERIKASTUDIEN on city documentaries
which will be published this summer, a book on labor history documentaries,
one on war documentaries (manuscript completed), a FRAUEN UND FILM issue
on documentaries by women (to be published this summer) and a book on
documentaries by and about AfroAmericans. Get in touch if you have
further questions. Also (for those people in Germany who subscribe to
SCREEN-L) we put together an archive of 120 American documentaries,
available for rent as 16mm film or video. All films are available
from Institut fuer den Wissenschaftlichen Film, Nonnenstieg 72, 3400
Goettingen.
Hope this helps, eva.