I think one of the interesting things about Ren and Stimpy is
its industrial context.  Does Viacom, which owns both MTV and
Nickelodeon, have an incentive to create content which can be
aired on both cable stations?  Movie cartoons often were
created to be enjoyed by both adults and children since audiences
for movie theaters tended to have both.  Traditionally, on the
other hand, your typical cartoons made for television were
aimed more exclusively at a kids' viewship.  So I guess
Viacom has more of an incentive to commission the kid-adult
cartoon.

Matt McAllister, Virginia Tech.