Jim Sullivan's panacea to *this country's* problems, undoubtedly born of
genuine concern, is representative of the same limited vision and ideology that
generated those problems in the first place: a fanatical craving to be #1; a
blind faith in technological and economistic remedies for the human condition;
xenophobia, or a rabid 'Us vs Them' mentality that has brought us to where we
are at present--still beset with the ancient problems of war, poverty,
intolerance and oppression, to name a few. Jim Sullivan's exhortation to rally
round the flag and regain lost glory is a product of the kind of thinking that
has had catastrophic consequences historically. He sings the praises of
futuristic digital television, but is, himself, sadly, entrenched in thinking
patterns that are more anachronistic than futuristic.

I did not write the above to attack Mr. Sullivan personally. I wrote to
express disagreement with a way of thinking I find outmoded. A way of thinking
that has, perhaps, caused this species (much like the cancer-causing cell) to
become estranged from what seems like life itself.

   The hasty imposition of a new order upon a disorder that was created, in the
   first place, by a similar need to order the 'disordered,' might yet again,
   and again, throw us back into even greater disorder!

Santanu Chatterjee