This note isn't exactly specific to the teaching of film/TV, but it does
pertain to more and more of us who have converted our gradebooks to
spreadsheets.  So here goes...

I love spreadsheets (there; I've said it).  Currently I use Lotus 1-2-3,
release 2.3.  My problem is that I've never found a way around the
time-consuming and potentially inaccurate process of hand-entering test
scores.  Recently, however, I've learned that my university's testing
service can provide a comma-delimited ASCII file listing test scores by
student ID number.  As in:

111111111,85
222222222,92
etc.

My class spreadsheets already include a column with student ID numbers.
The question is, once I import this comma-delimited file into
spreadsheet cells, how do I get the right test scores into the cell next
to the correct student number?  I can't just place the imported column
of test scores next to the original student-ID-number column because not
every student will take every test.

Obviously, some sort of macro is in order here.  Does anyone know of one
that will control the positioning of information in spreadsheet cells?

Thanks in advance...

      En casa del lenero cuchillo de palo.
      [In the woodsman's house the knives are of wood.]
                   --Spanish proverb

|                                      | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |