By Michael Burton

 Author Kurt Vonnegut recently said that the atmosphere in
America since the Persian Gulf war is "like that at a party in a
beautiful home, with everybody being polite and bubbly.  And there
is this stink coming from somewhere, getting worse all the time, and
nobody wants to talk about it" (April 12 New York Times).
  MEDIA MONITOR  will talk about it.  We can't remain silent
while the stink of repression and censorship rises, in Austin or in our
nation.   And if Austinites think our town is immune to these
growing bigots, then think again.
 For example: Local columnist Paul Jacobs suggested after the
war that all protesters "be registered" and "that all government
benefits for which they may apply, be denied.  If they cannot show
the world in time of war our people, regardless of political party,
color, religious persuasion, country of origin or any other difference
stand together against an enemy, then they do not deserve the
benefits of our freedom, unique in our world." (April issue of The
Austin Senior Beacon ).

who has a much larger audience.  We can thank KLBJ-AM Radio for
bringing insulting and reactionary thinking into Austin every
weekday afternoon with the addition of the "Rush Limbaugh Show."
Limbaugh calls himself "the best talk show host in the universe" and
"with talent on loan from God."  His talent, however, includes
disparaging comments about women and minorities, offensive put-
downs of environmentalists and feminists, and name-calling of
human rights activists.  His favorite target are animal-rights activists,
whom he calls "fools" and "kooks."  And anyone with liberal thinking
is a"left-wing pinko commy."

baiting, even though Limbaugh regards people who criticize George
Bush as "the president's enemies."  In fact, in a desperate move to get
listeners to the show, the station placed a fake ad in the Austin
American-Statesman  April 10 &11 urging listeners to boycott the
show.  KLBJ officials showed their disdain for peace and justice
groups in Austin by attributing the ad to two non-existent
organizations - "Austinites for Peace" and "The Human Alliance."  In a
story announcing that that the Statesman was pulling the bogus ads,
writer John Herndon reported that KLBJ officials had no comment on
their disinformation tactic.  Obviously, KLBJ officials would rather
outrage people than have them tune out.

station manager, and Mark Caesar, KLBJ program director,  at 832-
4000, P.O. Box 610310, 78761, and tell them you object to the show
and will no longer listen to KLBJ Radio.  A more effective means of
voicing your complaint, however, is to boycott those advertisers who
buy space during the show.  Some of them include:  Jambalaya
Restaurant,  Pip Printing, Scandavia Contemporary Interiors,  Sears,
Cablemax, Ballet Austin, True Value Hardware, AOS of Austin, Apple
Dodge, Floor Spectrum of Oak Hill,  Georgetown Energy Inc., Caldwell
Tree, Perma Jack, Trans-Tex Distributing in Round Rock, ABC Blind &
Drapery, ABC Pest Control, Portable Affordables, Bluhm Electric and
Austin Association of Remodeling Contractors.