Being a student film maker myself, I understand your reasons for
asking this.  The truth is that a lot of things can be accomplished in
doc. cinema, but there's no money in it.  A lot of my friends are looking
for the steady job in the film industry (and that's a laugh!).  There are
so many students who want to follow the mainstream and make profitable films.
I myself am a fiction film maker.  I want to do different things in this
type of film.  I thought about the non-fiction film concentration, but I
felt that I could not make films the way I wanted to.  I am much more
comfortable having everything under my control, instead of filming something
that already exists and then work within those parameters.  I feel that I
have complete artistic freedom when I make a film from scratch.  I decide
what the film will be about, who will be in it, what they say, where they are,
and even what they are wearing.  For me, this is the only way to get a message
across.
eyes