Hi, all. Just a gentle reminder that the deadline for proposals for the Northeast Popular Culture Association's online conference is next Monday, August 1. Please see my forwarded note below for the details. When you're ready to submit your proposed paper, please remember to use the NEPCA Google doc proposal form at https://nepca.blog/conference/. If you have any questions or concerns, by all means let me know.

best regards,
Marty Norden

________________________________
From: Marty Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2022 12:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Call for proposals: NEPCA online conference, October 20-22, 2022

Hello, everyone. As the Film & History area chair for the Northeast Popular Culture Association (NEPCA), I encourage you to submit a proposal for NEPCA's annual conference. The conference will be held entirely online on October 20-22, 2022. More information about the conference is available here:

https://nepca.blog/conference/

We welcome presentations on a wide range of film topics related to popular culture. These topics include, but are not limited to, the following areas of analysis:

* Films that portray history, particularly those that provide fresh or controversial perspectives on historical events (e.g., Spotlight, JFK)

* Films that explore complex characters or incorporate social, political, and cultural themes (e.g., heroism, friendship, injustice, racism, betrayal, ambition)

* Film adaptations of other works, such as novels, short stories, and theatrical plays, or from real life situations

* Film genres, such as romantic comedies, gangster films, westerns, war films, or science fiction films

* History of the cinema

* Economic and cultural impacts of film on society

* Film industry awards, nominations, policies, and practices

Your proposal should be about 250 words, and the deadline for it is August 1, 2022, end of day. Please do NOT e-mail your proposal directly to me; instead, please submit it via the NEPCA Google doc proposal form at https://nepca.blog/conference/. N.b.: links on this page can be somewhat hard to find since they don't look like typical links. You'll find the Google doc if you scroll down a little and click on the phrase, "the CFP submission form here." If that doesn't work, you should be able to access the Google doc by copying, pasting, and clicking on the following address:

https://bit.ly/CFPNEPCA22

If you have any questions (e.g., about the suitability of your proposal, the conference itself, the NEPCA organization), please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks, and we at NEPCA look forward to receiving a proposal from you soon!

best wishes,
Marty Norden
Martin F. Norden
Professor, Department of Communication
N320 Integrative Learning Center
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003  USA

Co-Editor, ReFocus: The Films of Paul Leni (2021)
https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-refocus-the-films-of-paul-leni.html

Editor, Dorothy Arzner: Interviews (forthcoming 2022)