rowse all panels and submit your proposal
[https://mcusercontent.com/f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e/images/ee1b197b-5447-b822-a9f7-966032704eb0.jpg]<https://therai.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e&id=b6ee4f9e58&e=cf06c208fe>

The Royal Anthropological Institute’s FILM FESTIVAL 2023 is hosting an online academic conference, 6-10 March 2023. Paper presentations will be delivered live via Zoom and will be followed by a Q&A with the public.

We welcomed panel proposals on all current research related to visual, digital, and multimodal anthropology. We invited panel, roundtable and workshop proposals from academics and practitioners in anthropology and adjacent disciplines. Now we are announcing the CALL FOR PAPERS.

Browse from our accepted panels and submit a paper here<https://raifilm.org.uk/call-for-papers-23/>: https://raifilm.org.uk/call-for-papers-23/

In addition to academic paper presentations, we are also welcome proposals from filmmaker and multimodal practitioners who wish receive feedback on a work-in-progress at any stage of production.

In addition to our open call, we also encouraged panels to consider the following theme:

Visual anthropology and speculative futures
We find ourselves in a moment in which it is difficult to imagine what the future holds. The war, the intensification of climate change and the pandemic have brought questions about the future in sharp relief for everyone. Of course, for those at the sharp end of history, the future has always been uncertain and an open challenge. In this increasingly uncertain present, questions about the place, temporality and role of visual/sensory/multimodal anthropology feel more pressing than ever. If, as Stuart Hall says, history is always unfinished business, then the future is always multiple and open to many possibilities. What is our part in revisiting histories and shaping possible futures?

These are not new questions, and visual/sensory/multimodal anthropologists have been productively working with collaborative and multimodal modes, questioning authority and authorship, and creating an anthropology that engages multiple publics and is world-making. Afro- Indo- and Indigenous Futurisms, along with other related artistic and literary genres, have long engaged questions of temporality and futurity. These have been significant in shaping contemporary visual anthropologists’ practices and approaches and opened the future as something to be investigated, not as a remote possibility, but as an active agent in the production of now.

Browse panels and submit a paper proposal<https://therai.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e&id=a05c1dbdc1&e=cf06c208fe>

[https://mcusercontent.com/f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e/images/0505ac0c-06e2-345f-87f8-e2bf5430edcc.jpg]<https://therai.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e&id=56cc50740e&e=cf06c208fe>

[Twitter]<https://therai.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e&id=3a12935c3a&e=cf06c208fe>

[Facebook]<https://therai.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e&id=a9fac6c96c&e=cf06c208fe>

[Website]<http://www.raifilm.org.uk>

[Instagram]<https://therai.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f647ab2c329e6318edfa7e42e&id=cad569c84c&e=cf06c208fe>

Copyright © 2022 Royal Anthropological Institute, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Royal Anthropological Institute
50 Fitzroy Street
London, Lnd W1T 5BT