Dear Comrades and Colleagues,

Please see the announcement below from Mimesis:

View this email in your browser
Reserve Tickets Now

MDF 2022 Tickets On Sale

August 2-7 - Boulder, CO

We are pleased to announce that tickets are now on sale for the 2022 Mimesis Documentary Festival, welcoming Artist-in-Focus Iva Radivojević and Opening Night Artists Emma Baiada and Nicolas Snyder.

With 20+ programs including documentary blocks, installation-based documentary arts, conversations, and masterclasses by more than 60 artists from around the world, the third annual Mimesis Documentary Festival comes to the Dairy Arts Center and the B2 Center for Media Arts from August 2-7.

View the 2022 Program
The festival kicks off with an opening night screening on August 2nd at 7 PM featuring Song of Salt by Emma Baiada and Nicolas Snyder (2022, US). Set in an isolated mining town on the outskirts of Death Valley, Song of Salt is an immersive glimpse into the struggles and celebrations within a tight-knit community as its residents, suspended between the past and the future, face the present realities of an eroding economy.

“Meaningful and captivating… the perfect observational documentary”
- Film Threat

Reserve Tickets for Opening Night
Still from Song of Salt (2022) by Emma Baiada and Nicolas Snyder

Masterclass: A Secret Cinema

We are also excited to announce the topic of Artist-in-Focus Iva Radivojević's masterclass - A Secret Cinema - taking place on August 6th at 10 AM.
“Life is always spectral, my life is always spectral, and in the trace is always life.”
- Akira Mizuta Lippit on Jacques Derrida

This masterclass will explore the idea of the Specter who is at the same time both visible and invisible.

Perhaps haunting.

Both biographical and autobiographical.

The Specter is arrived at from elsewhere, an outside, and all the while remains secret.

The eye / I, the narrating Specter, reflection, and self-reflection are all components of the workshop. The theme is inspired by an essay titled Derrida, Specters, Self-Reflection by Akira Mizuta Lippit in which Life, Spectrality, and Autobiography are outlined as the elements of a secret cinema (and Derrida himself).

The workshop will dissect these elements to lean into the secret, and explore questions of dream logic and the mythical in my moving image work. It will include some of my short films as well as a screening of Gaàda, a "process" film assembled from footage I gathered in pre-production for my film Aleph.

With love,

--Iva Radivojević, Lesbos, July 2022

Reserve Tickets for the Masterclass
Still from Gaàda by Iva Radivojević

Aleph

Iva will also present her latest feature project, Aleph (2021, US/HR/QA, 91’) on August 5th at 8 PM courtesy of Picture Palace Pictures and Ivaasks Films.
"...a deeply sensual and thrillingly experiential work, one full of...unexpected visual pleasures and musings on cultural differences and commonalities..."
-Scott Macaulay, Filmmaker Magazine

Reserve Tickets for Aleph
Stills from Aleph (2022) by Iva Radivojević courtesy of Picture Palace Pictures and Ivaasks Films.
Support Our Work
Mimesis Documentary Festival is brought to life by support from our community of international artists, audiences, and partners. Your donations support artists and help keep screenings and workshops free for CU students. Contribute now and help us continue to provide a platform for the infinite potential of documentary media.
Our Supporters

Mimesis Documentary Festival is made possible with generous contributions from the University of Colorado’s College of Media, Communication, and Information, the Departments of Anthropology and Critical Media Practices, the Research and Innovation Office, and by the ongoing support of our donors, audiences, and artists.

Contribute Now

2022 Festival Partners

CU Department of Anthropology, B2 Center for Media, Arts and Performance, Colorado Office of Film, Television and Media, CU College of Media, Communication, and Information, CU Department of Critical Media Practices, Dairy Arts Center, Center for Documentary and Ethnographic Media, Mission Zero Fund, and Nicki Coyle Film and Video.
Mimesis is an initiative of the University of Colorado Boulder’s Center for Documentary and Ethnographic Media to create and foster a local, regional, and international network of documentary artists, scholars, and producers. We are artist-focused, community oriented, and committed to providing a platform for the infinite potential of nonfiction media.
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
Website