Dear colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting, please find below a CFP for an
interdisciplinary conference on landscape, scheduled to be held in-person
at Yale University from September 29 to October 1. Abstracts on landscape
in cinema are particularly welcome and encouraged.

-----

*(Re)thinking Landscape: Ways of Knowing / Ways of Being*

September 29 - October 1, 2022
Yale University

The cumulative crises of anthropogenic climate change, Indigenous land and
water defender campaigns, and calls to decolonize museums, universities and
other cultural spaces have directed attention to the material structures of
power that shape our interaction with place. If landscape studies have
traditionally focused on questions of representation and cultural
imaginaries, how does taking land seriously as a category prompt a
rethinking of landscape? Landscapes have real, material impacts on our
lives but landscape is also a canvas onto which a variety of emotional,
ideological, and discursive involvement is mapped. Landscape is used by
artists, writers, theorists, and politicians to tell us something—and,
importantly, to make us believe something—about our lives and ourselves. As
inhabitants, stewards, and architects of landscape, we have a
responsibility to think critically about the role of landscape. Land and
landscape are a point of entry to reckon with how colonial, nationalist,
heteronormative, and white supremacist systems and structures impose
themselves on land, waters, and communities. Given the very material
politics of the present, what utility does landscape have as a framework?
What does a history of landscape that centers land relations look like?
What does landscape tell us about temporality, endurance, disappearance,
emergency, and disaster?

We invite papers from interdisciplinary scholars working at the convergence
of land, representation, and politics across media, geographies, and time
periods. Through the framework of the Environmental Humanities, this
conference seeks to re-think landscape studies and the definition of
landscape through a cross-disciplinary dialogue across the humanities and
social sciences.

Keynote Speakers: Nick Estes (University of Minnesota) and Tiffany Lethabo
King (University of Virginia)
Film Screening: *Logos Zanzotto* (2021, Italy, dir. Denis Brotto), followed
by Q&A with the director

Possible topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:

   - The interplay between materiality and representation
   - Land relations and land ethics
   - Disappearing/enduring landscapes
   - Landscape and memory studies
   - Landscape and belonging
   - Landscape and the picturesque
   - Representing landscapes in literature, art, cinema, and other creative
   media
   - Immaterial and invented landscapes
   - How representation shapes how we know and value land
   - Landscapes/Seascapes/Skyscapes
   - Shoals and other in-between formations
   - Embodied experiences of landscape
   - The ethics of land art
   - Landscapes as materials, metaphors, media, archives, and frameworks

*Please send an abstract of 250 words and a short bio to the organizing
committee at [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]> by May 31*. We encourage
proposals that emphasize expansive thinking about landscape from scholars,
artists, and activists at all stages of their careers.

This conference is generously sponsored by The Edward J. and Dorothy Clarke
Kempf Memorial Fund and the Yale Environmental Humanities program.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org