Dear All,
We have a tenure-track opening in Activist Media in the Communication Department of Tulane University.  Please help spread the word!
Thanks,
Ana

Professor Ana M. López
Chair, Department of Communication
Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs
Director, Cuban and Caribbean Studies Institute
Editor, Studies in Spanish and Latin American Cinemas
200 Gibson Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118
(504) 865-5261

Assistant Professor of Communication; Activist Media.  https://apply.interfolio.com/91952

The Department of Communication at Tulane University invites applications for a tenure track position at the Assistant Professor rank for a scholar of activist media. We are especially interested in applicants whose research-based creative practice and/or practice-based scholarship engages the lives, experiences, and cultural traditions of Black, Indigenous, or marginalized communities and explores the relationships between media and social justice. Regional specialization is open, and work may draw on a variety of disciplines and methodologies related to media and communication studies, including gender studies and queer theory, critical race studies, postcolonial/decolonial studies, cultural studies, critical ethnography, and/or their intersections. Tulane's Communication faculty have strengths in the study of the representations that occur on the Internet, shifts in epistemologies related to digitalization, and social uses of technologies and their political implications. We are engaged in collaborative and participatory initiatives and social innovations that exemplify communicative practices between critical theories, everyday life, and social movements. We seek a faculty colleague to expand our understanding of and teaching about digital activism, resistance and struggles for social justice, as well as the intersections of media, cultural identities, and socio/political formations, an area of the undergraduate curriculum we seek to bolster. See description of our curriculum here: https://liberalarts.tulane.edu/departments/communication/academics/the-communication-major.  Candidates should be prepared to teach our core course 'Cross Cultural Analysis'.

Located in New Orleans - a city with tremendous diversity of cultures and communities, Tulane University is a tier-one research university in the United States. Our 15th President, Mike Fitts, has  strong commitments to anti-racism that the Tulane School of Architecture has taken up in multiple ways. The Tulane School of Architecture is an innovator in the field of the built environment at multiple scales, from buildings to neighborhoods and from urban landscapes to regional planning. The City of New Orleans and the Mississippi Delta are our natural domains of research. The city is home to a diverse community steeped in a long history of action and exchange.

Qualifications
Qualified candidates for this position will hold a PhD degree in Communication or a related field by June 30, 2022.

Application Instructions
Candidates should submit via Interfolio a letter or application, a curriculum vitae, a list of three professional references with contact information, and one or two samples of your critical work (written and/or media). Other materials may be requested later. Questions can be directed to Dr. Mohan Ambikaipaker ([log in to unmask]), Chair of the Search Committee. We are committed to creating an intellectually diverse, inclusive, and equitable institution, and we especially encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin October 1 and will continue until the position is filled.

Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Tulane University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to excellence through diversity. Tulane University will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.

https://screensite.org/