As far as I could tell, the first DVD was sold in 1997. Mr. Google told me
this:

"Warner Home Video announced the first slate of movies on *DVD* with 32
titles ranging in *price* from $19.99 to $24.99. The rollout was initially
limited to seven cities with *Twister* being among the first batch of *DVD*
movies to be released in the U.S. (Mar 30, 2017)"

Back then, Columbia House was one of the main ways that people could by
DVDs. I'll bet they have some sort of archive.

Columbia House history
<http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/columbia-house-company-history/>

Sandy Camargo

--