*REBOOT • REPURPOSE • RECYCLE*
*September 12-14, 2019*

*Portland, Oregon, USA*

*Keynotes: Amanda Ann Klein, East Carolina University; Matt McCormick,
Gonzaga University*

In holding this year’s conference in downtown Portland, one of the most
environmentally conscious cities in the United States, we invite attendees
to consider the themes of “repurpose” and “recycle,” broadly conceived.
What function—socially, politically, and economically—do sequels, remakes,
and reboots serve in media culture? How do reboots and remakes allow
creators and audiences not only to revisit, but reimagine familiar
narratives? What historical precedents might we return to in our attempts
to better understand the nature and influence of series, serials, and
(trans)media franchises today? And how might adaptation studies play a
vital role in these critical discussions? While we welcome papers on any
aspect of adaptation studies, we are especially interested in presentations
that address one or more of the following concerns (or similar topics):

·         transmedia storytelling

·         media franchising

·         recombinant culture

·         questions of authorship

·         film genres and genre cycles

·         economic and industrial perspectives on remakes

·         rebooting television series

·         evaluating sequels, remakes, and reboots

·         the question of originality and artistry in adaptation

·         environmental media and ecocritical perspectives

·         ecocinema and ecomedia

·         media and the anthropocene

·         historical precedents in series, serial, and franchise
storytelling

·         formalist and narratological approaches to series, serial, and
franchise storytelling

·         narrative extensions into new media, including video games

·         the impact of #OscarsSoWhite and #MeToo on reimagining adaptation

·         teaching adaptation

The LFA also welcomes work in media studies, more broadly. We have
significant interest in broader studies of American and international
cinema, film and technology, television, new media, and other cultural or
political issues connected to the moving image. In addition to academic
papers, presentation proposals about pedagogy or from creative writers,
artists, and filmmakers are also welcome.

We are excited to feature two outstanding keynote speakers this year:

*Amanda Ann Klein*, Associate Professor of Film Studies in the English
Department at East Carolina University, is author *of American Film Cycles:
Reframing Genres, Screening Social Problems, & Defining Subcultures*
(University
of Texas Press, 2011) and co-editor of *Multiplicities: Cycles, Sequels,
Remakes and Reboots in Film & Television *(University of Texas Press,
2016). Her manuscript, *Identity Killed the Video Star: A Cultural History
of MTV Reality Programming*, is under contract with Duke University Press.
Her scholarship has appeared in *Quarterly Review of Film and Video*, *Jump
Cut*, *Film Criticism*, *Flow*, *Antenna*, *Salon*, *The Atlantic*, *The
Chronicle of Higher Education*, *Inside Higher Ed*, and *The New Yorker*.
We are very pleased to have the opportunity to hear her connect her work to
our conference theme: Reboot, Repurpose, Recycle.

*Matt McCormick* has for many years been a key figure in the Portland art
and film scene and is currently Assistant Professor of Integrated Media &
Art at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA . Matt’s work crosses mediums and
defies genre distinctions to fashion witty, abstract observations of
contemporary culture and the urban landscape.  His films, which include *The
Subconscious Art of Graffiti Removal*, *Some Days Are Better Than Others*, *The
Great Northwest*, and *Buzz One Four*, have screened in venues ranging from
the Sundance Film Festival to the Museum of Modern Art, and have been
critically acclaimed by *The New York Times*, *Art Forum*, and many other
media outlets.  Matt has also directed music videos for bands including The
Shins, Sleater-Kinney, and Broken Bells. We look forward to welcoming him
to LFA 2019 as he offers screenings and discussions of his distinctive and
captivating work.

Please submit your proposal via this Google Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1I80wkzCaQwJNkIb_i1DIy1VVKn1qS5oqRzNn8MS8qKU/edit>
by
May 15, 2019. If you have any questions or concerns, contact Pete Kunze at
[log in to unmask] Accepted presenters will be notified by June 1.

All sessions will be held at the University of Oregon in Portland, located
at 70 NW Couch St. in downtown Portland. Limited travel grant support is
planned to be available for select graduate students, non-tenure-track
faculty, and/or independent scholars and artists. Details for an added
application process for such support will be shared following proposal
acceptances.

The conference registration fee is $200 ($150 for students and retirees)
before August 1, 2019 and $225 ($175 for students and retirees) thereafter.
All conference attendees must also be current members of the
Literature/Film Association, and all presenters must be registered by
September 1 to appear on the final conference program. Annual dues are $20.
To register for the conference and pay dues following acceptance of your
proposal, visit the Literature/Film Association website at
http://litfilm.org/conference and use our PayPal feature.

Presenters will be invited to submit their work to the *Literature/Film
Quarterly* for potential publication. For details on the journal’s
submission requirements, visit www.salisbury.edu/lfq.

Initial Rates (Until August 1)
• Dues ($20) + Regular Conference Registration ($200) = $220
• Dues ($20) + Student/Retiree Conference Registration ($150) = $170

Late Rates (Beginning August 2)
• Dues ($20) + Regular Conference Registration ($225) = $245
• Dues ($20) + Student/Retiree Conference Registration ($175) = $195