Hi All,

I'm writing from Women Make Movies, the leading nonprofit distributor of
films by and about women. I thought the members of this listserv would
be interested in our newest release, KISMET, a captivating educational
resource that filmmaker Al Jazeera calls "an inspirational film." KISMET
is a fantastic addition to classrooms, organizations and libraries
focused on Muslim & Islam Studies, Anthropology, Sociology,
Communications & Media, Women's Studies, Film & Television Studies. To
celebrate this release, WMM is offering a special promotion of 50% off a
related collection when you buy KISMET at list price.*

I'm including some additional info on KISMET and the related special
offer. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, and thanks as
always for supporting independent women filmmakers!

KISMET

< http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c872.shtml>

Wildly popular at home, Turkish soap operas have taken the world by
storm with over 300 million viewers in 80 countries across the Middle
East, North Africa, the Balkans, and Asia. With unprecedented access,
Kismet delves into this phenomenon, weaving together excerpts from the
major shows including interviews with their talent and the writers,
producers and directors behind the scenes-primarily made up of women-and
portraits of the everyday viewers in Turkey, Egypt, the United Arab
Emirates, Bulgaria, and Greece.

Exploring how the serials captivate, inspire and empower women, the film
reveals how the soaps impact and break down negative stereotypes and
traditional taboos. The soaps openly discuss rape, sexual and domestic
violence, child and arranged marriages, and honor killings while also
sparking change in gender relationships, activism against sexual abuse,
and a wave of divorce across the Middle East. Invaluable for studies in
media and popular culture, Kismet discloses how profoundly Turkish soaps
penetrate viewers' social and religious realities while empowering and
helping women to transform their lives and strengthen the debate about
women's rights across the region.

A film by Nina Maria Paschalidou

2013, 57 minutes, Color, DVD

Institutional Price: $350.00

DVD Rental Price: $125.00

K-12, Public Libraries, Community Groups: $89.00

Watch the trailer: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQALTV4FzI>

Buy the DVD: <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c872.shtml>

*Special Offer - 50% Off Related
Collectionhttp://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c838.shtml!*

To celebrate this new release, WMM is offering 50% the related
collection Muslim: The Changing Face of Muslim Women when you purchase
KISMET at list price!  See examples from this powerful collection below.

Muslim: The Changing Face of Muslim Women Collection:
<http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/collect9.shtml>

 VOICES UNVEILED <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c801.shtml>

Can Islamic values co-exist with full equality for women? VOICES
UNVEILED examines this timely issue through portraits of three women
pursuing life paths and careers of their own choosing in present-day
Turkey.

WOMEN OF TURKEY <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c797.shtml>

Veiled and unveiled women explore relationships between Islam and
secularism in present-day Turkey, where millions of women, many of them
educated and urban, wear the headscarf or hijab.

CAMERA/WOMAN <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c848.shtml>

As it unveils the issues that confront working-class Muslim women in
societies now undergoing profound change, this film reveals that the
camera becomes a liberating force.

UNVEILED VIEWS <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c781.shtml>

In this revealing documentary five extraordinary women talk about their
occupations, aspirations, and the rights and status of women in their
Muslim countries.

GOING UP THE STAIRS <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c836.shtml>

An inspiring resource for courses on contemporary Muslim and Islamic
studies, this portrait of an unlikely artist shows us that true talent
will refuse to be stifled and you don't need an education to channel
your emotions into art.

Use promo code KISMETLS14 to apply your discount. Offer expires June 30,
2014. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Other exceptions may
apply.

GENERAL ORDERING INFORMATION

All orders must be accompanied by an institutional purchase order or
Prepayment. Payment may be made by institutional check, money order, or
Visa and MasterCard.

Women Make Movies *115 W. 29th Street, Suite 1200, New York, NY 10001*

Tel: 212.925.0606 x360

Please let me know if you have any questions and thank you for your
support!

Sincerely,

Amy Aquilino

Women Make Movies