MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a cluster on THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE, curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of Douglas College.

http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

"The Multimodality of Comics in Everyday Life" is a collection of short articles exploring how comics infiltrate everyday cultural representations in ways that go beyond extensions of the printed page. Architecture, design, sex, web browsers, current politics, celebrity magazines, fandom, cities and advertising: the articles in this cluster explore just a few examples of comics not as a fixed paradigm, but as multimodality itself. As an international, multidisciplinary, collaborative online project, featuring a diverse range of scholarly timbre, this cluster is an experiment in online comics scholarship that offers a different kind of output than what might normally be expected from journal articles. If comics are to move off the page, then this cluster actively resists such associations as it strives for a kind of liminal, fragmentary scholarship that suggests offerings in search of responses.
*Ernesto Priego and David N. Wright, Introduction: The Multimodality of Comics in Everyday Life

*Damon Herd, It's All Comics: How Comics Scholars View The World

*Nicole Pacas, Comics—They’re just like Us!: The Yellow Kid and Celebrity Gossip Magazines

*Ludovica Price, Fan Comics: Comics as Fan Sense-Making in the Everyday

*Brenna Clarke Gray, What We (don't) Talk about When We Talk about Sex

*Peter Wilkins, Life on the Grid: Comics and the Everyday

*Harriet Kennedy, Superheroes and Referendums in Quebec and Scotland

*Ernesto Priego, Popping Up: Cities and Comics as Common Place

*David N. Wright, Comics are the New Everyday Aesthetic and Socio-Cultural Paradigm

***Interested in proposing your own cluster for The New Everyday? Read about the journal (http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/about), see our "How to Works" page (http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/how-it-works), and send your proposals to our Coordinating Editor at tne <at> mediacommons.futureofthebook.org.**