Dear Jeremy,

Please post this to Screen-L. Also, please let me know if you'd like
to review the book for your listserv. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
v * 612-627-1932
f * 612-627-1980
http://www.upress.umn.edu
Part diary, part observation, part memoir—writings from Derek Jarman’s
final years

SMILING IN SLOW MOTION
By Derek Jarman
University of Minnesota Press | 400 pages | 2011
ISBN 978-0-8166-7453-4 | paperback | $18.95
BACK IN PRINT

Written between 1991 and 1994, and ending just two weeks before his
death, Derek Jarman’s entries review friends and enemies as he races
through his last years painting, filmmaking, gardening, and annoying
his targets through his involvement in radical politics. Infused
throughout with familiar honesty and wry humor, Smiling in Slow Motion
is a document of endeavor, remembrance, and love.

PRAISE FOR SMILING IN SLOW MOTION:
"The clarity with which Derek Jarman offered up his life and the
living of it, particularly since the epiphany—I can call it nothing
less—of his illness was a genius stroke, not only of provocation, but
of grace."—Tilda Swinton

"These journals, far from being the product of a morbid defeatism, are
on the contrary the life-affirming expression of an artist engaged in
living to the full. Required reading." —The Times (London)

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
One of England’s foremost filmmakers, Derek Jarman (1942–1994) wrote
and directed several feature films, including Sebastiane, Jubilee,
Caravaggio, and Blue, as well as numerous short films and music
videos. He was a stage designer, artist, writer, gardener, and an
outspoken AIDS and queer rights activist in the United Kingdom and the
United States. He is the author of several books, among them Modern
Nature, Chroma, and At Your Own Risk, available from University of
Minnesota Press.

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the
book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/J/jarman_smiling.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of
Minnesota Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/mediaalert.html

Please email me if you have any questions.
--
Heather Skinner, Publicist
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290