I recently had the opportunity to take a class on autobiographical
documentary (at Northern Illinois University with Dr. Jeff Chown), and many
of the films we screened would likely work well for your summer course.
Some that stand out in terms of race and ethnicity:

*Nobody’s Business *(Alan Berliner, 1996)
*Tongues Untied* (Marlon Riggs, 1990)
*Bontoc Eulogy* (Marlon Fuentes, 1995)
*Sherman’s March* (Ross McElwee, 1986)
*History and Memory: For Akiko and Takashige* (ReaTajiri, 1992)

Some related articles/readings:
“Alan Berliner and the Jewish American Autobiographical Film” by Michael
Renov at: http://www.alanberliner.com/flm_02.html
“Film and Video Self-Biographies” by Audrey Levasseur
“Ethics and the Perception of Ethics in Autobiographical Film” by John
Stuart Katz and Judith Milstein Katz
“The Subject in History: The New Autobiography in Film and Video,” by
Michael Renov
“Autobiography and Documentary,” by Caroline Anderson

A text to consider:
Jim Lane: The Autobiographical Documentary in America (Madison: University
of Wisconsin Press, 2002)

This is just sampling of some of the material used in the course I mentioned
as well as what I have used in my own research on autobiographical
documentary.  Feel free to contact me if you'd like some additional
resources that might work for your course. Hope this helps!

T.J. Hicks
--
Ph.D. Candidate / Instructor
Department of Communication

--
Ph.D. Candidate / Instructor
Department of Communication
Georgia State University
kinjadesigns.com

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org