Announcing the Routledge publication of _What Media Classes Really Want
To Discuss:  A Student Guide_ by Greg M. Smith:

Students bring their assumptions about media to an introductory
film/television class.  They “know” that media cause violence and
stereotypes; they have a general understanding of what “realism” and
“identification” are.   But we rarely confront these commonsense
assumptions directly when we teach introductory classes.

_What Media Classes Really Want To Discuss:  A Student Guide_ gives the
introductory student a more precise language for discussing these ideas,
which makes better class discussion possible about these vague but
broadly held notions. The book is written in an approachable, personal,
non-“textbook-y” tone that makes the big ideas of media studies more
accessible to students.

What Media Classes Really Want To Discuss is intended to serve as a
supplemental textbook for a wide range of classes in film studies,
television studies, and media literacy.  For an examination copy, visit
http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/books/details/9780415778121/.

          Table of Contents
1.  “It’s Just a Movie:”  Why You Should Analyze Film and Television
(the book’s first chapter is a revised version of my widely used essay
that answers student concerns that academics are merely “reading into” a
film/television program. You can read the original version on my
website.  The direct link is
http://www.gsu.edu/~jougms/teachingessay.pdf.)

Discussing How Media Work
2. What Is Realism, Really?
3. How Do We Identify with Characters?
4. Genre Schmenre

Discussing Media and Society
5. “Studies Show:”  How To Understand Media Violence/Effects Research
6. Role Models and Stereotypes:  An Introduction to the “Other”

Discussing Media’s Future Now
7. What Difference Does a Medium Make?
8. What Is Interactivity?

Apologies for cross-posting....

Greg M. Smith

Greg M. Smith
Professor
Moving Image Studies Program
Film/Video/Digital Imaging Program
Department of Communication
Georgia State University
http://www.gsu.edu/~jougms

Office: 1050 One Park Place
            (404) 463-9428
Fax:     (404) 651-1409

Email: [log in to unmask]

Mailing address:
Department of Communication
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 4000
Atlanta, GA 30302-4000

For Courier and Overnight Services (FedEx, UPS, etc.):
Department of Communication
One Park Place South
Suite 1050
Atlanta, GA 30303