1. Studies in French Cinema 10i

2. Varda and her Sisters

3. Powrie change of university

*************************************

1. Studies in French Cinema 10i

The first issue of our anniversary volume has now been published, edited by Julia Dobson:

Julia Dobson, ‘Retrospectives and projections: celebrating ten years of Studies in French Cinema’
Martine Beugnet and Elizabeth Ezra, ‘Traces of the modern: an alternative history of French cinema’
Martin O’Shaughnessy, ‘French cinema and the political’
Sarah Cooper, ‘Looking back, looking onwards: selflessness, ethics, and French documentary’
Darren Waldron, ‘Une mine d’or inépuisable’: the queer pleasures of François Ozon’s 8 femmes/8 Women (2002)

*************************************

2. Varda and her Sisters

Film Course: Varda and her Sisters
BFI Southbank
Tuesdays 11, 18, 25 May, 1 June    6.30-8.30pm

Don't miss our short course exploring the history, scope and achievements of women's filmmaking in France.

Contrary to countries where women filmmakers are extremely marginalised, France boasts a surprisingly high number of women cineastes, especially over the last 25 years. Placing our Agnès Varda retrospective in context, this short course, taught by staff from KCL Film Studies, explores the history, scope and achievements of women's filmmaking in France. Four two-hour sessions will take participants on a journey from the first female filmmaker Alice Guy to the latest exponents of 'extreme' cinema such as Catherine Breillat, as well as popular genre films and, of course, Agnès Varda.

Fees £48, concs £30. Go to www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank/events/course_varda_and_her_sisters<http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank/events/course_varda_and_her_sisters> for more information and to book.

BFI Southbank  Belvedere Road  South Bank  London SE1

Susie Walker
Education Events Co-ordinator
BFI Southbank  |  Belvedere Road  |  South Bank  |  London SE1 8XT
tel: +44 (0)20 7849 4451 - direct line (ext. 4451)  |  fax: +44 (0)20 7815 1436  | www.bfi.org.uk<http://www.bfi.org.uk/>

At BFI Southbank in May we celebrate the great Agnès Varda, with a nationwide revival of her nouvelle vague classic Cleo from 5 to 7 and a full retrospective of her work in both fiction and non-fiction; we pay tribute both to the superb cinematographer-director Jack Cardiff and to the pioneering writer-producer-director Albert Lewin, with seasons exploring their work and an extended run of Pandora and the Flying Dutchman; we complete our survey of South African cinema with films made after the Apartheid era; and we revisit recent great TV dramas in our Second Coming season. We stir up our own election fever in the Mediatheque with The Ballot Box collection, and in the Gallery, Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Phantoms of Nabua opens on 14 May. At the BFI IMAX Iron Man 2: The IMAX Experience stomps onto the biggest screen in Britain from 29 April.

For BFI Southbank tickets, book online at www.bfi.org.uk/southbank<http://www.bfi.org.uk/southbank> or call 020 7928 3232 (lines open 11.30am - 8.30pm)

For BFI IMAX tickets, book online at
www.bfi.org.uk/imax<http://www.bfi.org.uk/imax> or call 020 7199 6000 (lines open 10.30am - 7.30pm)

*************************************

3. Powrie change of university

Please note Phil Powrie's change of email below.

Phil Powrie
Professor of Cinema Studies
Dean Designate of the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
University of Surrey
GU2 7XH

Executive Asst: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>/+44 (0)1483689445

Studies in French Cinema: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/crif/sfc/home.htm