*Master of Arts in Literary and Cultural Studies (MALCS)*

Designed to introduce students to a wide range of cultural texts and to
explore historical and contemporary issues within the context of modernity
and globalization, *this two-year part-time MA programme offered by The
Department of Comparative Literature* at the University of Hong Kong
consists of eight courses taught over two evenings per week and a capstone
project/dissertation at the end of the programme. Our courses adopt an
interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, comparative approach emphasizing critical
thinking about global culture. We analyze films, literary works, and other
cultural texts through the theoretical perspectives of post-structuralism,
deconstruction, psychoanalysis, feminism, Marxism, and post-colonial
criticism. We have a particular commitment to China-West studies, the
critical examination of the impact of colonialism on global culture, and to
the exploration of Hong Kong culture, ranging from its literature and cinema
to its constructed urban environment and beyond.

*Courses may include:*

Cultures between Art and Industry

Fabrications of Identity

The Art and Politics of Narrative

From Colonialism to Globalization

Modernity and its Paths

Questioning Sexual Difference

Hong Kong and Beyond

Dissertation Seminar

Postmodernism

Film and Popular Culture

Law, Literature and Film

Contemporary Chinese Societies through Literature and Film

*More information*:

Detailed information of the course and the Department of Comparative
Literature can be viewed at http://www.hku.hk/complit

*Application:*

The regulations and application process to the University of Hong Kong can
be viewed at URL: http://www.hku.hk/acad/tpgonline/

The closing date for application is *March 1, 20**10*.

*Tuition Fee:*

$70,000 paid in two installments in two years

*Enquiries:*

General Enquiry No.: 2859-2760 & 2859-2869

Email: Dr. Gina Marchetti, Programme Chair ([log in to unmask])

Ms. Fanny Chan, Programme Assistant ([log in to unmask])