From: Film and TV Studies Discussion List on behalf of Glassmeyer, Danielle
Sent: Fri 2/27/2009 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCREEN-L] making clips....practical matters

My school's AV/IT support department has just told me that they can't
legally make clips from any film source for any reason due to copyright
issues.

Before I say "pish posh", I thought I might ask here...

I need clips from feature films that would fall well under 10 % of total
running time.  I would be using them in classroom and conference
presentation only.  And they are not Disney.  And it's okay with me if
the clips are housed on a password-restricted streaming server.

Three requests

-- can you all point me toward the current law so I can review what it
says? -- can you all make suggestions about workarounds if you have had
a similar problem?
--can you all help me to figure out what kind of equipment and programs
I would need to do this on my own?

Thanks in advance for advice and help!

Danielle Glassmeyer
English Department
Bradley University

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org

http://www.ScreenSite.org