This is a fascinating topic that (broadly) reminds me of two obscure films.

1) Four Flies on Grey Velvet (Dario Argento, 1971) - Photography is not used to reveal the
identity of the killer. However, the killer's image is imprinted on the retina of his victim.
This was a common trope in 19th century crime literature and grows out of the notion of
the optogram, something like a retinal photograph. Retinal photograph's were also used
to justify the inclusion of photographs as evidence in courts. More info at FN29, p. 255-
256 in Anne Friedberg's The Virtual Window (MIT, 2006)

2) Island of Blood (William T. Naud, 1982) - This is a forgettable slasher film about an
on-location film crew being menaced. However, it contains a bizarre twist - the final
scene reveals that the producers of _another_ movie have been filming all the deaths to
use in their own exploitation film, implicitly (and clumsily), the film we have just
watched. I believe that Snuff (Michael and Roberta Findlay, 1976) was re-edited by
another distribution company at some point and contained a similar film-within-a-film
ending.