PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County, Inc.

Contact:  Kevin Ledgewood

205-758-5195, x6

2009 JEWISH CULTURAL FESTIVAL INCLUDES FILM, FOOD, EXHIBIT, AND LITERATURE

(Tuscaloosa)  The Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County and Temple Emanu-El will present the 7th Annual Jewish Cultural Festival January 20 – April 12, 2009 at the Bama Theatre and The University of Alabama.  The festival consists of an exhibit at UA’s Hoole Library, a Jewish food and film festival, and a book discussion series.  Admission will be charged for the food/film festival with other events free.  Food/film festival passes are available at the Arts Council office for a discounted price of $30.  Tickets for individual films will also be on sale at the box office prior to their start.  Note:  Film screenings will take place at both the Bama Theatre, Greensboro Ave., downtown Tuscaloosa, and Reese Phifer Hall on the University of Alabama campus.

Tuscaloosa’s inaugural Jewish Film Festival took place in 2003 through a partnership between Temple Emanu-El and the Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County. The festival was established with the goals of introducing local audiences to the best of Jewish filmmaking and expanding cultural and social understanding. Now in its seventh year, the festival has grown to include specific areas of Jewish culture such as food and literature.

Festival sponsors include the Gloria Narramore Moody Foundation and the Tuscaloosa Convention and Visitors Bureau.

For more information call 205-758-5195 or visit www.tuscarts.org for a complete synopsis of films and festival details.

>>>January 20, 2009:
Hoole Library Exhibit:  "Campus Meets Town Meets All Around: Glimpses at Tuscaloosa’s Jewish Community from the Hoole Library Collections"
This exhibit, an historic look at some interesting aspects of Jewish life and culture in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, brings together elements from The University of Alabama, the Tuscaloosa community, and the world through the collections of the W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library.  The display opens January 20, 2009, in the Hoole Special Collections Library Lobby, 2nd floor, Mary Harmon Bryant Hall on the University of Alabama campus.  Library hours are Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm, and Thursday until 9pm. For more information contact Jessica Lacher-Feldman at 205-348-0500 or [log in to unmask].

>>>January 24, 2009 at 6pm:  Jewish Food Festival and opening night of the Film Festival at the Bama Theatre

The festival continues on Saturday, January 24, 2009 with a Jewish Food Festival at 6pm and the screening of The Counterfeitors at 7:30 p.m. (Admission $10 – includes food festival and screening of the film).   From bagels to hummus, the Jewish Food Festival will feature a huge selection of sweet and savory traditional cuisine, all identified with a description of their purpose in the Jewish culture and holiday season.  The festival will represent both traditional foods and those adapted to the modern Jewish table.  The opening night of the festival will continue with the screening of the film The Counterfeitors (Drama-RATED R) at 7:30 p.m.

>>>January 25, 2009 at 2pm:  Sunday matinee (double feature):  Circumcise Me  and Matzo and Mistletoe
Reese Phifer Hall on the University of Alabama Campus (at the corner of University Boulevard and Colonial Drive);

Admission: $5-$7

>>>January 26, 2009 at 7:30pm:  Monday evening (triple feature):  Bound for Gory (short), Let My People Grow (short), and Noodle
Bama Theatre, 600 Greensboro Ave., downtown Tuscaloosa ; Admission: $5-$7

>>>January 27, 2009 at 7:30pm:  Tuesday evening (double feature):  Jewno (short) and Then She Found Me
Bama Theatre, 600 Greensboro Ave., downtown Tuscaloosa ; Admission: $5-$7

>>>Jewish Book Discussion Series: "The Road Not Taken” – Book Discussion Series

Join a three-session discussion series of recent works about Jewish histories that once were or could have been. All discussions will be held at the Hillel House at The University of Alabama, 900 Anna Avenue. The events are free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be provided.  For more information, book reviews, and updates, visit the blog at: http://tuscaloosajewishbookgroup.wordpress.com;  Admission:  free

Sunday, February 8 at 4pm
The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon
Sunday, March 8 at 4pm
The Last Jews of Kerala by Edna Fernandes
Sunday April 12 at 4pm
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

###

Dr. Kevin Ledgewood Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County, Inc. Box 1117 Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35403 phone: 205-758-5195, x15 fax: 205-345-2787 website: www.tuscarts.org "Drawing the Community Into the Arts"

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. See how it works. ---- If you no longer wish to receive announcements from Film-Alert, please fill in this form:

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=film-alert&A=1

and click "Leave FILM-ALERT".