Hi: some of you were kind enough to support the NYU Graduate Student
Union (GSOC) in their strike. I have been asked to forward this
message to you in support of their new organizing effort that stands
some chance of success if things go the way they should in November:

This email is on behalf of GSOC, the NYU graduate student
union.  We're writing to ask that you sign and
circulate the "Petition in Support of the Teaching and Research
Assistants Collective Bargaining Rights Act," available
at <http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/TA_rights/>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/TA_rights/.

The petition urges members of Congress to co-sponsor and support the
Teaching and Research Assistants Collective Bargaining Rights Act,
which secures the right to form unions for TA's and RA's at private
sector universities and colleges like NYU.

Because the Act is federal legislation, ANYONE can sign the petition,
so please circulate widely.  You do not have to be registered to vote
or a citizen of the US to sign - if you live in the US then you have
an interest in what Congress decides is law.

The Teaching and Research Assistants Collective Bargaining Rights Act
currently enjoys the support of many powerful legislators, including
Senator Ted Kennedy, Democratic Presidential nominee BarackObama, and
Senator Hillary Clinton.

International opinion is also on our side.  This summer,
the International Labor Organization, an agency of the United
Nations, reaffirmed TA's and RA's internationally recognized right to
form unions.
(<http://www.ilo.org/ilolex/cgi-lex/pdconv.pl?host=status01&textbase=iloeng&document=4817&chapter=3&query=%28%28United+States%29%29+@ref&highlight=&querytype=bool&context=0>Click
here for more information.)

To get this legislation passed, we need to do all we can to show
Congress that people care about this issue and actively urge our
Senators and Representatives to co-sponsor and support the Teaching
and Research Assistants Collective Bargaining Rights Act.

To help make sure that the Teaching and Research Assistants
Collective Bargaining Rights Act passes in Congress and becomes
federal law, please:

Sign and Circulate the Online Petition!  Go
to: <http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/TA_rights/>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/TA_rights/.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org