1. Online access for SFC

2. CFP Emergent Encounters in Film Theory (KCL)

3. CFP Performing Lives (Kingston)

**********************************

1. Online access for SFC

Intellect have put the most recent issue of our journal online. See here:

http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals.php?issn=14715880

***********************************

2. CFP Emergent Encounters in Film Theory (KCL)

Emergent Encounters in Film Theory
Intersections Between Psychoanalysis and Philosophy
An International Film Studies Conference

King’s College, London, March 21st 2009, Strand Campus, supported by the
KCL Roberts Fund and Wallflower Press. Organized by Davina Quinlivan,
Markos Hadjioannou, Ruth McPhee and Louis Bayman.

CALL FOR PAPERS
Keynote Speakers:
Parveen Adams (Fellow of the London Consortium)
Steven Shaviro (Wayne State University)

Interdisciplinary approaches to the theoretical discussion of the
cinematic medium have often engaged with philosophical or psychoanalytic
perspectives. While philosophy and psychoanalysis are by no means
opposed schools of thought, the potential to develop new ways of
understanding film remains an opportunity to be explored. In seeking out
further lines of enquiry, the study of intersections between
cinema/philosophy/psychoanalysis, seems most pertinent to our generation
of ‘film thinking’, to invoke Daniel Frampton’s concept of the ‘film
mind’, whose future still stands, to some extent, in the shadow of
psychoanalysis. Recent philosophical models of thought offered by film
theorists such as Frampton and D.N Rodowick embrace a new ontological
grasp of the cinema, but what then are the implications of this shift
for psychoanalysis? The question, therefore, remains whether philosophy
and psychoanalysis are indeed irreconcilable, or if the specific
philosophical turn sets up boundaries that unjustly seal off the
possibility of dialogue between the two methodologies.

We invite proposals of 200 words for papers of 20 minutes on areas
including:
-Films as philosophical and/or psychoanalytical form of representation
-Questions of realism and illusion, from documentary cinema to the
fantasy genre
-Ethical responses to, and within, cinema
-The family, sociality, fraternity and sorority
-Changes and developments within spectatorship
	-The impact of, and approaches to, new technologies
-Corporeal subjectivity, embodiment and the senses
-Temporality, memory and amnesia in the cinema
-Depictions of criminality, revenge and guilt

Please send abstracts by 14th November 2008 to [log in to unmask]
Enquiries may also be sent to [log in to unmask]

***********************************

3. CFP Performing Lives (Kingston)

PERFORMING LIVES*
An International Conference hosted by the Centre for Life Narratives
Kingston University, UK
6 - 8 July 2009

This international conference on ‘Performing Lives’ follows the
inaugural conference of the Centre for Life Narratives, ‘The Spirit of
the Age’, the focus of which was ‘Writing Lives’ (2007). Our second
biennial conference ‘Performing Lives’ (2009) invites analysis and
debate on the relationship between life histories and the ways in which
they are embodied and enacted in performance, across a range of cultures
and a variety of media: drama, dance, film, TV and video.

The performance of ‘real’ lives takes many forms. On the one hand, in
commercial film and TV the traditional ‘biopic’ is an enduring
favourite; on the other, autobiographical, verbatim and tribunal modes
in theatre, docudramas and TV reality programmes, and more experimental
approaches to autobiographical and documentary filmmaking, have
challenged conventional forms through their emphasis on ‘ordinary’
lives, their incorporation of multiple perspectives and their
interrogation of notions of reality and fiction. In dance, performers’
own lives have frequently served as source material for choreographers
while the abstract, non-verbal nature of dance provokes alternative
approaches to the representation and performance of lives.

Key questions include:

•	WHY LIFE?  What do we aim to achieve in performing aspects of our own
lives and those of others? What are the pleasures for the
spectator/consumer of life narratives? How do the aims of film and TV
makers, theatre-makers and dance-makers differ?

•	WHICH LIFE?  What kinds of lives do different performance-makers find
interesting and why? What is the relationship between the performer and
the life performed, particularly in relation to star performances? What
are the ideological messages inscribed in life histories in performance?

•	WHOSE LIFE?  From whose perspective is the life being told or shown?
What questions are raised about authority, authenticity and ownership?
What are the moral and ethical implications of performing the lives of
others?

•	REAL LIFE?  How does the performance of life frame questions about the
relationship between reality, fiction and audience? Given the
impossibility of representing the whole of a life, what determines the
choices made about what elements of a life to perform?

We welcome proposals in English (of not more than 250 words) from a
range of critical perspectives in relation to a range of countries,
cultures and historical periods. We are interested in the perspectives
of performance and media-based practitioners as well as those of
academics and thus invite proposals for performances and workshops as
well as papers and panels.

Proposals should be submitted online via the following page:
http://fass.kingston.ac.uk/activities/conferences/abstracts
by
Enquiries to [log in to unmask]

Organisers:
Adam Ainsworth, Dr Simon Brown, Mathew Melia, Trish Reid, Dr Carrie
Tarr, Frank Whately

--
Phil Powrie
Professor of Cinema Studies