Barry - You might find Modern Love (France, 2008) interesting. While
the two lead characters (one of them is a screen play writer) are not
writing but telling their respective stories, by doing so, they are
clearly commenting on the American romantic comedy genre. Their
romantic narratives are broken at regular interval with scenes from a
third love story, a musical, clearly different in style from the two
others (which is hinted to have been written by the screen play
writer). Although you can find hints throughout the film, the
self-reflexivity of the narrators  and the actual extra-diegetic
qualities are only clearly established within the last few minutes of
the film. This means also that the boundary reality / fiction might be
a little too porous.  Best,
Anne Dotter