---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sidewalk <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:31 PM
Subject: Early Bird Deadline Draws Near
To: Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://www.sidewalkfest.com
Regular Deadline Draws Near

Deadlines: April 1 / May 1 / June 1

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">The 2008 Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival has announced its Call For Entries for feature-length narratives, documentaries and short film entries. Now in its 10th year, Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival has been named one of TIME Magazine's "Film Festivals for the Rest of Us," one of the "Top Ten Film Festival Vacations" by the Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide and a "Best Kept Secret" by MovieMaker magazine.

Award prizes include:

  • $1,000 for Best Feature
  • $1,000 for Best Documentary
  • $1,000 for Best Short
  • $500 for Best Animated Film
  • Kathryn Tucker Windham Storytelling Award
  • Audience Choice Awards
  • Alabama Citations of Excellence (ACE Awards)
  • Handcrafted cast-iron award sculptures designed by resident artists of Birmingham's historic Sloss Furnaces
Submissions must have been completed after January 1, 2006 and must not have been publicly exhibited in the Greater Birmingham Metropolitan Area prior to the 2008 festival dates.

Visit [log in to unmask]" target="_blank"> sidewalkfest.com for complete entry information and eligibility requirements. Sidewalk prefers submissions online through [log in to unmask]" target="_blank"> Withoutabox.com, but a downloadable PDF entry form is available [log in to unmask]" target="_blank"> here.

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Stay tuned to your inbox for more updates, and please use the "send to a friend" link at the bottom of this page to forward this email on to others who may be interested. And be sure to join Sidewalk's network of friends on [log in to unmask]" target="_blank"> MySpace.com!

The Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival is set for September 26-28 in downtown Birmingham's historic theatre district and is a project of the Alabama Moving Image Association, Inc., a publicly supported 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created to inspire, encourage and support films and filmmaking in Alabama.

John C. ReillyThe 10th annual Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival, a celebration of new independent cinema in downtown Birmingham, is set to take place September 26-28. Since its debut in 1999, filmmakers from across the country and around the world have come to Birmingham to screen their work at Sidewalk and have been thrilled to discover fresh, enthusiastic crowds eager to devour new independent cinema.

WORD ON THE SIDEWALK...

BEST KEPT SECRET in MovieMaker magazine

One of TIME Magazine's FILM FESTIVALS FOR THE REST OF US

One of Chris Gore's BEST VACATION FILM FESTIVALS in the Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide.

One of 20 FILM FESTIVALS WORTH THE ENTRY FEE in MovieMaker magazine.

"It has all the charm of a regional festival yet the programming quality and significance of a major global festival."
Steve Montal, Juror

"We've had a tremendous amount of opportunity to network with other filmmakers, which is really cool."
Sean Tracy, THE JESUS GUY

"You start to get to know about the festivals that treat filmmakers well and the ones that don't, and Sidewalk is one of the names that always came up as far as being great to filmmakers."
Joe Swanberg, HANNAH TAKES THE STAIRS

"Sidewalk is totally different from all the other film festivals that I have been to. The people are so gracious and it's so well organized."
Caren Cross, LOST & FOUND IN MEXICO

"It's kind of nice to come out to a festival like sidewalk that makes a fuss over the filmmakers and I guess, for our own vanity, just feel like big shots for the weekend."
Chris Bowman, AMERICAN FORK

"Sidewalk has done such a good job of educating the city and the audience in independent films."
Barlow Jacobs, LOW AND BEHOLD

"It draws really dedicated filmgoers that are interested in looking outside of traditional big box movies."
Ashley Sabin, KAMP KATRINA

"They have a really great staff and the programming committee is really sharp; they have a really good selection of films."
Alex Orr, BLOOD CAR

"It's an energy of filmmakers and it's not about the star, it's not about glamour. It's really a filmmaker's festival."
Steve Montal, Juror

"This is how film festivals should be."
Peter Gilbert, HOOP DREAMS / Juror

"I have to say this is one of the most fun festivals I've been to."
Dan Myrick, THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT / Juror

"This really has been the perfect festival."
Eric Campos, FilmThreat.com / Juror

"Seriously, you guys have some magic going on down there, and I will encourage everyone I know to check it out."
Jay Duplass, THE PUFFY CHAIR

"I really think you guys just might have discovered the perfect ingredients for a film festival... Hospitality, organization, local flavor, no attitude, really good food and great films! Wow-- what a blast!"
Don Bernier, IN A NUTSHELL

"Often film festivals can actually be a lonely place for a filmmaker because you just don't know anyone, and sometimes they're all spread out and you don't have a car and you can barely get anywhere, and there aren't enough events set up for you to keep you busy or meet your fellow filmmakers and my goodness, Sidewalk just blew all that to the Cosmos! It was so friendly and fun and low key. I just felt astonishingly well taken care of."
Alison Bagnall, PIGGIE / Juror

SIDEWALK and the SIDEWALK MOVING PICTURE FESTIVAL are registered trademarks of the Alabama Moving Image Association, Inc., a publicly-supported 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, created to inspire, support and encourage films and filmmaking in Alabama.
[log in to unmask]" target="_blank"> [log in to unmask]  [log in to unmask]" target="_blank"> Sidewalk

[log in to unmask]&Language=English" target="_blank" onsubmit="return window.confirm("You are submitting information to an external page.\nAre you sure?");">
[log in to unmask]&[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Send this email to a friend:

[log in to unmask]" type="hidden">

www.ScreenLex.org
www.ScreenSite.org
www.TVCrit.com