I am extending the deadline for my edited collection on film dialogue and genre to
January 1, 2008. I encourage you to submit proposals for any of the book’s four sections:

1. Dialogue and Genre – Essays will extend Sarah Kozloff’s foundational scholarship in
Overhearing Film Dialogue (UC Press 2000) through examinations of dialogue patterns in
genres not addressed in her study, especially: film noir, horror, romantic comedy,
science fiction, fantasy, action/adventure, epics, war, sports films, and musicals.

2. Multi-genre Dialogue / Dialogue Without Genre – Essays will address dialogue patterns
that span several genres; alternatively, essays will argue for instances of film dialogue
that defy established definitions of genre and/or constitute their own genre.

3. Dialogue, Genre, and Representation – Essays will theorize and provide historical
overviews of the intersections of genre and representation in the context of film dialogue.
Essays might concentrate on groups defined in terms of race, ethnicity, nationality,
religion, socioeconomic status, gender, sexuality, and other identity markers not listed
above.

4. Teaching Genre Through Dialogue / Teaching Dialogue Through Genre – Essays will
offer innovative pedagogical models that facilitate the study of film dialogue and genre in
the classroom.

Some of the current contributors to the collection are:

Emily Bauman (teen movies)
Todd Berliner (Hollywood dialogue conventions and the films of John Cassavetes)
Hye Seung Chung (Asian dialogue / "yellow accents" in Hollywood film)
Jeremy Strong (team films)
Paul Wells (animated films) ?

I am especially interested in receiving proposals that address the topics of romantic
comedy, horror, war, science fiction, and hybrid genres. I am also interested in proposals
that treat the intersections of dialogue and gender, dialogue and race/ethnicity, and
dialogue and sexuality.

Please send a 250-word abstract, c.v., and 100-word bio to Jeff Jaeckle (Michigan State
University): [log in to unmask] by January 1, 2008.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org