Thank you to everyone who contributed links for the Museum of the Moving
Image's film, television, and digital media resource list. I was struck
by the range of material out there that I hadn't been aware of. We're
working on ways to make these links easily searchable. With the help of
some brilliant interns, we've come up with some innovative ideas that I
think will be very welcome for students, professors, and members of the
public. We're hoping to get the site launched this fall and I will
certainly keep you posted about it.

After giving the matter a lot of thought, we've decided to employ a
two-tiered system of links. The first tier consists of sites akin to
hard-copy peer-reviewed journals that students can cite on academic
papers with relative confidence. These tier-one sites are either (a) the
explicit responsibility of a recognized cultural or scholarly
organization or (b) published by a well-known organization that employs
peer reviewers. The second tier consists of links that are valuable and
generally reliable (i.e., adhere to U.C. Berkeley's Web evaluation
standards:
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Evaluate.html
<http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Evaluate.html>
), but that should be double-checked. We decided not to include blogs or
personal websites, except in a separate blogroll. If this project has
taught us anything, it's that despite the plethora of evaluation
guidelines out there, figuring out whether an individual site is
actually citeable is confusing even for the savviest student. So if our
system of ranking inspires debate, so much the better.

The list below consists of links submitted by members of this listserv.
The entire list-in-progress is too sprawling to include here, but if
you'd like a copy of it, please let me know off-list and I can send it
to you as a spreadsheet. (Or you can wait 'til the site is up and
running.) Additional contributions are welcome, and so are your
recommendations, admonitions, and general comments about what kind of
links database would be helpful for you.

And, finally, I can't resist a plug for MMI's own online catalog, on
which we've been working overtime. I'm biased, of course, but I think
it's well worth a look, partifcularly if you're interested in the
material culture of the moving image:
http://collection.movingimage.us/index.php?globalnav=search&sectionnav=r
esults
<http://collection.movingimage.us/index.php?globalnav=search&sectionnav=
results> . Your suggestions and reactions are very welcome.

Tier 1: Peer-reviewed sites, or those authored by a recognized cultural
or scholarly authority
Library and Archives of Canada, "Through a Lens: Dieppe in Photography
and Film"
http://www.lac-bac.gc.ca/dieppe/index-e.html
Library and Archives of Canada, "Virtual Silver Screen" (early Canadian
films)
http://www.lac-bac.gc.ca/silverscreen/002030-1001-e.php
Marilyn J. Rose and Jeannette Sloniowski (Brock University), "Crime
Fiction Canada"
http://www.brocku.ca/crimefictioncanada/
<http://www.brocku.ca/crimefictioncanada/>
BFI, "Screenonline: The Definitive Guide to Britain's Film and TV
History"
http://www.screenonline.org.uk/ <http://www.screenonline.org.uk/>
Canadian Communications Foundation, "The History of Canadian
Broadcasting"
http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index3.html
Current Magazine, "History of Public Broadcasting in the United States"
http://www.current.org/history/
University of Alabama, College of Communication and Information Sciences
and Department of Telecommunication and Film, "Screensite"
http://www.screensite.org/
Australian Center for the Moving Image, "Learn" (educational resources)
http://www.acmi.net.au/learn.htm
Australian Film Commission, "Australian Screen"
http://australianscreen.com.au/
Australian Film Institute
http://www.afi.org.au/
Australian Teachers of Media, "Metro Magazine"
http://www.metromagazine.com.au/index.html
Australian Film Commission, "National Film and Sound Archive"
http://www.nfsa.afc.gov.au/screensound/screenso.nsf
Dina Felluga (Purdue University), "Terms Used by Narratology and Film
Theory"
http://www.cla.purdue.edu/academic/engl/theory/narratology/terms/narrati
vetermsmainframe.html
Jump Cut: A Review of Contemporary Media
http://www.ejumpcut.org/home.html
Dino Felluga, "Introductory Guide to Critical Theory"
http://www.cla.purdue.edu/academic/engl/theory/
David Bordwell, "Website on Cinema"
http://www.davidbordwell.net/
Manfred Jahn (University of Cologne), "A Guide to Narratological Film
Analysis"
http://www.uni-koeln.de/~ame02/pppf.htm#F1
University of Chicago, "Chicago School of Media Theory"
http://www.uni-koeln.de/~ame02/pppf.htm#F1
Yale University, "Yale Film Studies Film Analysis Web Site"
http://classes.yale.edu/film-analysis/

Tier 2: Valuable sites that should be double-checked
Milestone Films presskits
http://www.milestonefilms.com/presskits.php
Ron Harpelle, "Lady Lumberjack" (early amateur filmmaking in Canada)
http://www.ladylumberjack.ca/ <http://www.ladylumberjack.ca/>
The inimitable IMDB
http://imdb.com/ <http://imdb.com/>
Lois Siegel (Siegel Productions), "Film Fanatics"
http://www.siegelproductions.ca/filmfanatics/index.htm
<http://www.siegelproductions.ca/filmfanatics/index.htm>
Sven E. Carlson, "Filmsound.org: Your Learning Space for Film Sound"
http://www.filmsound.org/
Senses of Cinema, Inc., "Senses of Cinema"
http://www.sensesofcinema.com/
Film Victoria, "Film Victoria"
http://film.vic.gov.au/www/html/7-home-page.asp
Australian Film Critics Association, "Reviews"
http://afca.org.au/reviews.php

Bibliographies, filmographies, finding aids, and (trustworthy)
primary-source collections
Documentary Educational Resources: ethnographic and documentary films
http://der.org/ <http://der.org/>
The Moving Image Archive
http://www.archive.org/details/movies
<http://www.archive.org/details/movies>