From: Film and TV Studies Discussion List on behalf of Holliday, Frederick
Sent: Sat 2/17/2007 3:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCREEN-L] shooting & editing on 16mm?

I don't teach a 16mm class, but I've taken them at two universities (AU & KU).  I will be forever enamored of editing on 16mm.  The tactile sensation of actually holding the film in your hands, scraping of the emulsion, brushing on the cement, and slamming the splicer down... love it!  Also, no offense to the wonderful opportunities provided by digital non-linear editing, but I truly believe that having to actually cut your film (esp. if it's your only copy) makes you a better, more judicious editor.  Messing up a vital take on actual film stock is a very different experience than having to simply "undo" a mistake with zeros and ones....

Just my quick two cents.

Fred A. Holliday II