It's obviously possible to copy short clips from DVDs--I've seen many people use these clips in presentations.  It just seems that no one is willing to share how it is done.

And it is legal now for the purposes of scholarship.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Darrell Newton
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 12:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [SCREEN-L] Importing DVD clips to PowerPoint etc.

  I personally think that best way to use clips is to simply capture
  portions of VHS tape through a Pinnacle or similar system; trim them and
  save them as  .mpeg or .avi files. These can then be inserted into .ppt
  at will. Jeremy Butler has a great tutorial available on this, I
  believe.

  You can also place these same files on DVD through a program like DVD
  it, allowing for multiple access to various files.

  The last time I checked, it was still rather difficult to circumvent
  the copyright restrictions inherent with DVDs these days.

  Darrell M. Newton, Ph.D.
  Assistant Professor,
  The Department of Communication and Theater Arts
  Salisbury University
  269 Fulton Hall
  Salisbury, MD 21801
  (410) 677-5060 Office
  (410) 543-6229 Department

  http://faculty.salisbury.edu/~dmnewton/

  >>> [log in to unmask] 02/06/07 1:07 PM >>>
  I think Barry was asking how to capture clips (moving) rather than
  stills.  WINDVD has a copy version but I haven't tried it yet.  I hope
  to learn from the responses to Barry's question here.