Dear ListServ Administrator:

Please post this to Screen-L. Also, please let me know if you'd like to
review the book for your listserv.  Thanks!

Best wishes,
Stacy Lienemann
Direct Response and Scholarly Promotions Manager
University of Minnesota Press
111 Third Avenue South, Suite 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
612-627-1934
http://www.upress.umn.edu

The definitive biography of the author of The Society of the Spectacle and a
compelling account of his war against inauthenticity.

GUY DEBORD: Revolution in the Service of Poetry
Vincent Kaufmann
Translated by Robert Bononno
University of Minnesota Press | 384 pages | 2006
ISBN 0-8166-4455-1 | hardcover | $29.95

Writer, artist, filmmaker, revolutionary, and impresario of the Situationist
International, Guy Debord shunned the apparatus of publicity he dissected
brilliantly in his most influential work, The Society of the Spectacle. In
this ambitious and innovative biography, Vincent Kaufmann places Debord's
hostility toward the inquisitive gaze at the center of an investigation into
his subject's diverse output‹from his earliest films to his landmark works
of social and political provocation.

³Many people felt Debord could not be classified. Yet, this is what drew me
to him most, the fact that he was unclassifiable, difficult to approach,
dismissive of those who tried to describe him, and always willing to
challenge them. I admire his art of defiance, his belligerent and melancholy
poetics. He forces you to keep your distance, he deprives you of the
convenience and hypocrisy found in what Baudelaire referred to, in the
beautiful language of his century, as fraternal prostitution. I am neither
Debord's equal nor his brother, but these may be qualities no reader can
claim to have.² ‹from the Introduction

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the book¹s
webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/K/kaufmann_guy.html

Sign up to receive news on the latest releases from University of Minnesota
Press:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/eform.html