Call for Papers

2006 Film and History League Conference
“The Documentary Tradition”
www.filmandhistory.org

AREA: Emile de Antonio

“Arguably the most provocative film essayist/documentarian of the last sixty years in American life.” Bill Nichols

Emile de Antonio defined his work as “a history of the US in the Cold War.” The recent DVD releases of “Point of Order” (1963) and “In the Year of the Pig” (1968) hopefully signal a renewed interest in this most interesting of filmmakers whose work has remained un(der)-released for many years. From his first film, “Point of Order” (1963) about the Army-McCarthy hearings of 1954, to his final film, “Mr. Hoover and I” (1989) which traces his own forty-year surveillance by the FBI, de Antonio was as influential as he was controversial, his filmmaking style as radical as his politics.

We invite proposals on any aspect of de Antonio’s ten films – Point of Order; That’s Where the Action Is (1965); Rush to Judgment (1967); In the Year of the Pig; America Is Hard to See (1970); Millhouse: A White Comedy (1971); Painters Painting (1973); Underground (1976); In the King of Prussia (1983); Mr. Hoover and I – his techniques, his life and his influence on contemporary filmmakers.

Please submit 200-250 word proposals along with a brief biographical note to [log in to unmask] by July 21, 2006, but earlier proposals are preferred. Please feel free to contact me with any queries you may have.

This area is part of Film & History's 2006 "The Documentary Tradition" conference. The conference will be held November 8-12, 2006, at the Dolce Conference Center in Dallas, TX, near the DFW airport. D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus will be featured artists at the conference. The Film and History League conference details can be found at www.filmandhistory.org.

Send all inquires and proposals to:

James Burton
School of American and Canadian Studies
University of Nottingham