Please distribute -- apologies for cross-postings

CALL FOR PAPERS

Merging Methodologies 3

Of Global Concern: Communications and Media Research

University of Wisconsin-Madison

February 10-11

Continuing the tradition set by the University of Michigan and Northwestern
University, the graduate students of the Department of Communication Arts
at the University of Wisconsin-Madison invite submissions to the third
annual Merging Methodologies Conference to be held February 10-11, 2006.

We welcome work from any and all fields that address issues of media and
communication.  All approaches to media involving quantitative,
qualitative, historical, or theoretical approaches are welcome.

Our understanding of global media systems will be enhanced by studies
across a range of contexts (local, national, transnational,
subcultural).  In the interest of interrogating contemporary trends in
globalization, we encourage papers addressing issues of:

Space, place, identities, and flows

Transnationalism, local/global/Indigenous media

National cinemas and broadcasting

Feminist and queer media studies

Race and ethnicity

Television, film, and new media

Documentary and news

Media economics

Audience studies and ethnography

Law and policy

Media and communication technologies

Narrative, storytelling, and authorship.

Ultimately, our goal is to stimulate interdisciplinary dialogues regarding
media and communication research.

Panels will be convened around common themes, but will include presenters
working from different perspectives. For example, a panel on global media
might feature analysis of global flows, rhetorical analysis of
international news broadcasts, content analysis, and industrial
investigations of regional conglomerates.  Panels will also feature faculty
members as respondents.

All proposals must be authored by graduate students. Abstracts should not
exceed 300 words and should describe any special presentation requirements
(computer, AV, etc.).

The deadline for submission is December 9. Acceptance notices will be sent
out no later than December 19. Full versions of papers should be circulated
to respondents by January 20, three weeks before the conference.

Please email submissions and/or any questions Josh Jackson -

Michele Hilmes
Professor of Media and Cultural Studies
Director, Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research
Department of Communication Arts
University of Wisconsin-Madison

6040 Vilas Hall
821 University Ave.