Hi Everyone:

In keeping with the recent posts about blogging, I want to mention
the related activity of podcasting and how again, like with blogging,
podcasting is bringing up some similar issues for me at a small
liberal arts college.

This summer my colleague Shannon Clute and myself got involved with
podcasting and we decided to put together a film-related podcast. We
decided on film noir as the topic of our podcast, and we have now
completed three episodes of our podcast series, Out of the Past:
Investigating Film Noir (http://outofthepast.libsyn.com). One of our
motivations in producing our own podcasts is that we were listening
to other movie-related podcasts and they were almost exclusively
“movie review” shows. I enjoy movie reviews, but it seemed to the two
of us that podcasting could offer more variety than this. So we
decided to do a show focused on film history, film criticism and film
analysis. Each episode of our series involves the analysis of a
single film in relation to the body of film noir. So far, we have
completed episodes on the films Out of the Past, Double Indemnity and
Batman Begins, and the next two podcasts will be on The Third Man and
the Maltese Falcon.

Shannon and I are both new faculty (I am in Communication, Shannon is
in Modern Languages) and we have been having discussions about
podcasting, peer review and publishing that parallels some of this
list’s discussion on blogging.

I am interested in hearing suggestions about what might constitute a
peer review process for a podcast? Both Shannon and I are
recognizing, given the work--both critical and technical--that goes
into a podcast that we would like to have it considered
"scholarship." But we still want to figure out ways to answer the
question of peer review--one typically asked of rank and tenure
committees, e.g.

One idea Shannon and I have been bouncing around has been asking for
“listener reports.” Could peer review involve something like
“listener reports” (similar to reader reports on a manuscript)
whereby an established scholar listens to a film-related podcast and
writes a review/critique? Other ideas?

Best, Richard Edwards

Assistant Professor of Communication
Saint Mary’s College of California

If anyone is interested in checking out our podcast, visitt: http://
outofthepast.libsyn.com
If you already have podcatching software such as iPodder or iPodderX
or Doppler, our RSS feed is:
http://outofthepast.libsyn.com/rss
And if you already have iTunes 4.9 installed on your computer, the
easiest way to access our show is through this link:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?
id=74404076