Scott Hutchins quotes the following IMDB review:

 >The earliest celluloid film was shot by Louise Le Prince using the Le
 >Prince single-lens camera made in 1888.

I had no idea that as well as being a pioneer of cinematography, Le
Prince was also a transvestite.  Honestly - the wonderful things you can
find out from the Internet Movie Database!

And not only did this 'reviewer' get Le Prince's forename wrong: the
Roundhay images weren't shot on celluloid, either.  Cellulose nitrate
(aka celluloid) wasn't commercially manufactured for use as a film base
until 1889.  Before then, Louis Augustin Le Prince experimented with
sensitised paper base film, and also sequences of glass slides arranged
in a belt-like contraption (similar principle to Reynaud's Theatre
Optique, only running at around 8fps).  I can't for the life of me
remember which was used to shoot the Roundhay sequence, but the details
can be found in Christopher Rawlence, 'The Missing Reel' (London,
Collins, 1990).

Leo

Dr. Leo Enticknap
Curator, Northern Region Film & Television Archive
School of Arts and Media
University of Teesside
Middlesbrough
TS1 3BA