The best source I've found for this sort of information is:

http://www.doom9.org/

They have numerous guides that explain how to use (usually free or
low-cost) software to extract material from DVDs to your computer and
then how to burn them onto a blank DVD.  And they have links to sites
where you can download the software.  'Course, the first hardware thing
you'll need is a DVD recorder for your computer.

The information can get technical, but the guides are pretty
exhaustive.  They're a great resource for making Fair Use of DVD video.

--
Jeremy Butler
www.ScreenSite.org